President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday imposed President’s rule under Article 356(1) of the Constitution in Jharkhand following its approval by the Union Cabinet on Thursday, keeping the State Legislative Assembly under suspended animation
The Supreme Court of India on 15 January 2013 passed an order that constructing religious structures such as the temples and shrines on the public land was banned. Henceforth no state should grant permission for installation of any statue or erection of structures on the public utility places, pavements, public roads as well as the sideways.
In a first-of-its-kind step towards regulating the practice of surrogacy in India, the Union home ministry has issued stringent guidelines for visas being issued to foreigners seeking to rent a womb in India. Gay couples and single foreigners will no longer be eligible to have an Indian surrogate bear their child as only a foreign "man and woman" who have been married for a period of two years will be granted visas.
The Supreme Court on Friday held that the State of Kerala had no jurisdiction to investigate into the `Italian marines shooting incident’ on February 15, 2012 in which two fishermen were killed and said only the Union of India had jurisdiction to proceed with the investigation and trial of the two marines and therefore directed the Centre, in consultation with the Chief Justice of India, to set up a Special Court to try the two marines Massimilano Latorre and Salvatore Girone cited as accused in this case.
Prompted by nationwide outrage over the Nirbhaya gang rape incident, the law ministry has approved Rs 80 crore for recruitment of 2,000 more judges across the country for fast-track courts.
Patiala House court complex, one of the six district courts in the capital, on Wednesday switched to e-stamping facility completely.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Food and Consumer Affairs in January 2013 suggested the entitlement of the food under the National Food Security Act to the 67 percent population leaving behind the 33 percent people who are tax-payers and have pucca houses of their own.
Career diplomat, Wei Wei, has been appointed as the new ambassador of China to India. He has replaced Zhang Yan who was the Chinese envoy to India for more than four years.
The Supreme Court today said that Khap panchayats' diktat on dress code for women and asking them not to carry mobile is unlawful as such diktates are against the fundamental right to life and asked Khap Panchayats (caste-based councils) to file their replies on the issue.
Three financial sectors reforms laws including, Prevention of Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill and Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2012 have now become law of the land with President Pranab Mukherjee giving assent to them. The Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2012 also got the President's assent, an official statement said in New Delhi on Wednesday.
The Centre on Monday appointed Justice D K Jain as the chairman of the 12th Law Commission of India less than three weeks before his retirement as a Judge of the Supreme Court.
The News Broadcasting Standards Association (NBSA) on Monday issued guidelines asking TV channels to "exercise sensitivity and discretion'' in reporting on cases of sexual assault. In keeping with section 228A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) the TV industry body also asked channels to conceal the identity of victims of sexual assault.
A working group has been constituted in the Reserve Bank of India to review, update, and revise the Banking Ombudsman Scheme, 2006. In FY 2011-12, the banking ombudsman’s office of the RBI received 72,889 complaints (up from 71,274 complaints in the year before). It disposed off 94 per cent of the customer complaints, the RBI said in its annual report of the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2011-12.
An ambitious project to create a comprehensive and integrated system for effective policing and sharing data of crimes and criminals among 14,000 police stations across the country was formally launched in New Delhi on Friday.
Keeping with a two-decade-old practice, India and Pakistan have exchanged lists containing the names of their nuclear facilities as part of a pact that prevents them from targeting each other's nuclear installations.
National Green Tribunal suspended Environment Clearance to the Srikakulam Thermal Power Plant